AIMS OF THE SCHOOL
Archbishop Tenison's Church of England High School is an 11 to 18 mixed comprehensive delivering academic excellence in a Christian community.
Specifically, the school aims:
- to uphold Christian belief through worship and daily life and enable students to grow in a living faith
- to develop the habit and skills of academic enquiry, intellectual integrity, and a love of learning for its own sake;
- to broaden the students' cultural experience by active involvement in and appreciation of the expressive arts and by examining the role that culture, including science and technology, plays in creating civilised societies;
- to develop students’ awareness and understanding of their physical capabilities through curricular and extra-curricular activities and foster positive attitudes to health and safety and sportsmanship;
- to promote an understanding of different religions and ethnic origins and cultures in order to reduce intolerance and prejudice; to promote the integration into the community of people of all ethnic backgrounds; and to foster and develop a strong sense of moral values which are given practical expression in all aspects of the lives of those who make up the school community
- to create in students an awareness of their abilities and enable them to realise their potential and play their full part, as Christians, in the wider community in this country and overseas; to prepare them for the world of work and to develop in them interests they will find enriching and fulfilling
- to encourage pupils towards an understanding of their own feelings and the feelings of others, thus developing a friendly, supportive and caring community, in which every student is equally valued. The school aims to be a centre of excellence in all that it does. It is a partnership involving students, staff, governors, parents and carers, based on mutual respect and a common purpose. Everybody at the school is committed to these aims and is expected to play a full part in their realisation.
More recently this has been expressed slightly differently in a statement of our Christian educational vision:
The purpose of Christian education is to reach our full stature as human beings, no longer children “tossed to and fro by the waves”, but rather “growing up in every way … into Christ” as members of his body, in which each part makes a vital contribution to the whole (Ephesians 4: 14-16).
Our school motto is “Tenaciter – Academic excellence for each person as part of a Christian community.”
Our curriculum vision is:
To learn together as a Christian learning community
To educate the whole person
To provide the whole curriculum
To teach with understanding – of the subject and the person learning it
To learn with tenacity, humility and hope.
We value 5 things in particular: courtesy, calmness, concentration, confidence and consideration.